GEMELA: Call for Panel Proposals. Renaissance Society of America Virtual Meeting. Aril 2021
The Grupo de Estudios sobre la Mujer en España y las Américas, pre-1800 (http://www.gemela.org) will sponsor up to two more panels at next year’s virtual conference of the Renaissance Society of America (RSA), to be spread for two weeks in April 2021. GEMELA strives to unite scholar across traditional disciplinary boundaries through its focus on women’s cultural production in medieval and early modern Spain and colonial Latin America through 1800. We aim to disseminate information and knowledge about women and their role as cultural producers. Our participation in conferences such as this encourages teaching and research based on all approaches related to our principal field of inquiry.
GEMELA is soliciting proposals for pre-formed panels (or roundtables) in any discipline that explore women and their contributions to the cultural, political, economic, or social spheres of in Spain and colonial Latin America prior to 1800. Proposals should include scholars at different career stages, including young and emerging scholars.
Sponsorship of a panel (or roundtable) by GEMELA signifies that it is pre-approved and automatically accepted for presentation at the RSA virtual meeting.
Proposals for pre-formed panels or roundtables should be sent to Sara Guengerich (email@example.com) GEMELA’s associate organization representative for RSA, by no later than Monday 7 December 2020 with the following materials, assembled into a single Word document (no PDFs, please). Careful adherence to these guidelines is greatly appreciated:
- Title of panel (or roundtable) (max 15 words)
- Abstract (max 150 words) describing the panel (or roundtable) + keywords
- General discipline area of panel (or roundtable) (History, Literature, Cultural Studies, Art History or other)
- For a panel proposal: names of Organizer(s), Chair, Paper Presenters, & any Respondent(s), including current affiliation + email address for each participant
- For a roundtable proposal: names of Organizer(s), Chair, and Discussants (min 4, max 6), including current affiliation and email address for each participant
- CV for Panel or Roundtable Organizer(s) & Paper Presenters only (4 pages max per person, not in prose), indicating PhD completion date (past or expected)
- For each panel paper: title (max 15 words), abstract (max 150 words) & keywords (up to 4)
- Specification of any audio/visual needs
Please note that, per RSA rules, all panels and roundtables must include at least one scholar who is postdoctoral, and that participants who are currently graduate students should be within one or two years of defending their dissertations. For complete RSA guidelines for panel and roundtable proposals, please consult https://www.rsa.org/page/AnnualMeetingSubmissionsGuide#timeline
Decisions regarding GEMELA’s panel sponsorship will be sent out at least four days prior to the regular RSA submission deadline (15 December 2020) for submission of panel or paper proposals.
Applicants for GEMELA panel sponsorships mustbe current members of our organization. Renew your GEMELA membership here. As far as RSA membership, applicants do not need to be Society members at the time of submission, but, if successful, all members of the panel should join the Society before the 2021 RSA virtual meeting. Regular RSA membership rates are based on income. For 2021 rates, please consult https://www.rsa.org/page/membershiprenewal.
Participants are also expected to be/become RSA members and to register for the conference and are responsible for covering their own travel and lodging costs. Limited travel grants are available to members of the Renaissance Society of America. Visit https://www.rsa.org/page/PlannedGiving
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.