GEMELA Awards 2024
GEMELA seeks nominations for awards for scholarly work on women and gender in Spain and the Americas in the early modern period (pre-1800) published/in print between February 1, 2022 and November 1, 2023. Under contract or accepted but yet to be published manuscripts or galleys are not eligible for submission. All submissions must be in print by November 1, 2023.
The deadline for NOMINATIONS is November 1, 2023. Please include in your nomination packet complete contact and bibliographical information. Individuals nominated by third parties will be contacted after the November 1, 2023 deadline. Members of GEMELA may self-nominate.
The deadline for SUBMISSIONS of electronic materials is December 1, 2023. Participants will be required to be current members of GEMELA.
The awards will be announced to the membership in May 2024, and an awards ceremony will be held at GEMELA’s Biennial Symposium at Puebla, Mexico, in July 2024. Award recipients will not be required to attend the awards ceremony in person. These awards do not include monetary compensation.
- First-Book Award (scholarly monographs)
- Book Award (scholarly monographs; must not be a first book/scholarly monograph for the author)
- Essay or Article Award
- Collaborative Project Award (Edited Collections of Essays, etc.).
Note: Please note that essays that are part of nominated collaborative projects cannot be also nominated for the Essay or Article Award.
To participate in the GEMELA 2024 Award; Book Award; Essay or Article Award; and Collaborative Project Award, please:
- Send contact information and complete bibliographical information for each nomination or self-nomination to Ana María Díaz Burgos, Secretary of GEMELA (email@example.com), no later than November 1, 2023.
- E-book copies OR equivalent PDFs (for review purposes only) of in-print materials must be submitted to Ana María Díaz Burgos, Secretary of GEMELA, (firstname.lastname@example.org), no later than December 1, 2023. Electronic materials submitted after December 1, 2023 will not be considered and the nomination will be disqualified.
Note: Members of the jury may request hard copies of books. If this were the case, we may request that you or your publisher send a hard copy for review purposes only after the December 1, 2023 deadline.
The jury award committees will be selected from among active GEMELA members. GEMELA Board Members will not serve as jurors. Members of the jury cannot serve in a specific award committee if they have been nominated or have self-nominated for the same award category.
We are hopeful that longstanding members of GEMELA will be excited about these awards and willing to serve as jurors. These awards formally recognize GEMELA members’ excellent and innovative scholarship and elevate the national and international recognition of the association. If you are willing to serve as a juror for any of the award categories, please send your information to Sara Guengerich (email@example.com) as soon as possible, and no later than December 1, 2023.